Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Scrumptious little bites


I have been craving chicken wings for the past few weeks. Normally I would order them when we go out to eat, but we have been trying to eat at home more often and the last few times I ordered them they kind of sucked. So, I looked at a couple of recipes on line and they basically gave the same directions on how to cook chicken wings. I went the unhealthy way (and the proper way to cook them) and fried up those little guys. I have made them in the oven before and they just don't taste the same. This recipe surprised Jim and I because they came out damn good and tasty!


Chicken Wings

Veggie Oil- about 2 cups worth, it will be more or less depending on how big your frying pan is. I poured enough in the pan to be about 2 inches high.

Chicken wings and drumettes- HEB sells these separately, so I bought one package of each. The wings take a little work because you have to chop off the tip and end parts. This was my first time dismembering a chicken part and it kind of grossed me out. They might have frozen wings that you don't have to do any type of work to

1 stick of butter
3/4 bottle of Franks Hot Sauce
couple squirts of Tabasco

Heat up your oil to around 165 degrees. I have no idea if I reached that temp or not since I couldn't find my thermometer. I put it on medium high heat for 10 minutes, then right before I put the chicken in, I lowered it to medium heat. I placed my chicken in the hot oil. Once all pieces were in the pan, I went back around and moved them slightly to make sure they weren't sticking to the bottom of the pan. All of my chicken parts were not completely under the oil, and that is okay. Cook for 12 minutes, then flip the pieces over and cook for another 12 minutes. This should give you nice brown and crispy chicken parts.

While your chicken is cooking, take your stick of goodness (aka butter) and melt it in a pan. Once it is melted, add the Franks hot sauce. Swirl it around and lightly simmer it. Taste it and see if it is hot enough for you. If it isn't, then add a few squirts of Tabasco.


Take the chicken out of the oil and place on a plate with a paper towel to soak up the extra oil.

Add your chicken pieces into the Franks hot sauce... I did half of the batch at a time. I let them soak in there for a few minutes to make sure the hot goodness stuck to the chicken.

Take out of the sauce, plate it up and enjoy!!! I may never order wings in a restaurant again!!




After frying
In the spicy sauce

Total yummyness


No comments: