I had a craving for pasta with shrimp last night. We already had almost everything on hand (I love the frozen shrimp... easy to thaw and use within 20 minutes) so I just started cooking and adding things as I cooked.
1/2 pound of shrimp- this was for Jim and I... but you can use more or less!
1 head of broccoli, cut up in to bite size pieces
1 red bell pepper, cut into slices
1/2 onion, cut into slices
4 garlic cloves, smashed and chopped up
1 cup white wine
4-5 tablespoons of butter
splash of olive oil
3/4 pound of linguine - or whatever pasta you want to use!
- Heat water for the pasta... when boiling season with salt and drop in the pasta.
- Add the chopped broccoli, red bell pepper and onion to a pan with a little olive oil... cook until desired tenderness.
- Take out of the pan and place in a bowl.
- Heat up another splash of olive oil then add in the garlic and the shrimp.
- Cut the lemon in half and squeeze over the shrimp. You do not want to cook the shrimp for very long... about a minute on each side. They will finish cooking all the way through once you put the veggies and pasta together with the shrimp.
- Take the shrimp out of the frying pan and place with the veggies.
- Add the wine to the pan, and let boil for about 5 minutes.
- Add the butter and cook for a few more minutes.
- At this point your pasta should be done... drip into the pasta water and keep about a cup of the cooking water (this will help you add moisture to your dish if it needs it).
- Drain your pasta.
- Return your veggies, shrimp and pasta into the frying pan with the garlic, wine butter mixture to cook for 2 or 3 more minutes to spread the flavor.
- Squeeze in the other half of the lemon.
- If you do not have enough liquid for your pasta, add a little bit of the pasta water and stir. The starchy water helps thicken up the sauce.
Add a little Parmesan to the pasta, add a side salad or some crusty bread and now you have dinner!!! This made enough for 3 meals. I brought the leftovers today and it heated up nicely!