Thursday, February 19, 2009

A new salad

Jim has recently been on a salad kick, so I have to hurry up and make lots more salads for dinner before he doesn't want them any more. He likes salads, but he usually doesn't want them for dinner.

So for my first dinner salad, I made a salad that has some components of a Waldorf Salad but not all of them. I bought the spring mix from HEB and added walnuts, Gorgonzola cheese, apples (honey crisp), shredded chicken, cucumbers, and red onions. And to add another twist, I made a honey mustard vinaigrette. I haven't made a salad dressing before, but I have always wanted to. They are surprisingly easy to make!


Honey Mustard Vinaigrette

3 Tablespoons of White Wine Vinegar
1 Tablespoon of Dijon Mustard
Squirt of Honey (I guess about a teaspoon and half)
1 garlic clove, minced
dash of salt
dash of pepper
1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil

Mix everything together but the olive oil. Once it is mixed, grab your whisk, flex your muscles and get ready :) To fully mix (emulsify) the dressing, you must stream in the olive oil while whisking the ingredients together. If you don't, then the vinaigrette will separate. I'll just say that I had to stop in the middle of adding in the olive oil because my forearms were burning.








No comments: