Thursday, February 12, 2009

Can't wait to make this again!

I have been craving some type of Chinese veggie dish for a few weeks. I think it was because the Chinese New Year was recent, and a lot of the food blogs I follow made various Chinese dishes in celebration. I have always enjoyed Moo Shu pork, and this recipe is very close.. without the plum sauce. I think it is fairly healthy, so go out and enjoy!


Moo Shu Pork (or chicken)

6 ounces lean boneless pork loin chops, cut into 1/4-inch-thick strips, well trimmed (I used chicken breasts... cooked then sliced)
1/2 small onion, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger (I forgot to buy this at the grocery store, so I didn't add it)
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups thinly sliced bok choy (I used Napa Cabbage)
handful (quarter pound) of sugar snap peas
handful (quarter pound) of bean sprouts
4 pieces of green onion, cut into bite size pieces
1 large carrot julienned
2 celery stalks, chopped into bite size pieces
5 large mushrooms, cut into matchstick-size strips (we don't care for mushrooms, so I didn't add these)
1 tablespoons sesame oil
1 tablespoon hoisin sauce*
1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
4 8-inch-diameter flour tortillas or frozen Chinese crepes, thawed (I used Central Market's homemade tortillas, they were still warm when I bought them... YUM!!)


Preheat oven to 325°F. Heat wok or heavy large skillet over high heat until very hot. Add onions, carrots, garlic and celery to pan for about 5 minutes. Mix in bok choy (napa cabbage),and mushrooms and stir-fry until red bell pepper is just crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Add bean sprouts, sugar snap peas, green onions, sesame oil, hoisin and soy sauce and stir-fry until bean sprouts are crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.

I cooked the chicken breasts with a little olive oil, salt pepper, and garlic powder until cooked through. Then I sliced it up and placed on top of the veggie mixture.

Meanwhile, wrap tortillas or crepes in foil. Place in oven to warm, about 8 minutes. Divide pork or chicken mixture among tortillas and roll up to enclose pork mixture. Serve immediately.












No comments: