Sunday, June 28, 2009

Celery Salad

We had a bunch of celery that I didn't know what to do with, so I searched the interwebs and came up with the celery salad. I tweaked it by also adding the cucumber, onion and dill since I had it on hand. It was light and crunchy exactly what I wanted! Jim wasn't in love with it, but I thought it would make a nice summer salad (and one that isn't heavy with mayo or calories!)


Celery Salad
(Salade de CĂ©leri)
SERVES 6
1 tbsp. white wine vinegar

1 tsp. dijon mustard

Salt and freshly ground pepper

1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

1 bunch celery

1 cucumber, cut in cubes

1/2 of a med size onion, sliced thin

1 Tablespoon of fresh dill


1. Whisk together vinegar, mustard, and salt and pepper to taste in a large salad bowl. Drizzle in olive oil while whisking constantly, to form a smooth and tart dressing. Set aside.
2. Pluck all the leaves from celery; set aside. Remove the outer ribs of the celery. (Save the innermost ribs from the core of the bunch for another use.) Roughly chop the celery ribs into 1⁄2"–3⁄4" pieces. Add celery, cucumber, onion and dill to bowl with dressing and toss well to coat. Adjust the seasonings.

No comments: