Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Grilled Tuna

Yesterday while I was at Central Market buying trout for dinner I noticed that they had a small piece of yellow fin tuna hanging out in their fish display. I decided to get it to try it out. I haven't made it before and I think I have only really had cooked tuna once before. So I didn't know what to expect. I used the Bobby Flay marinade below for the tuna, but I didn't think it had much flavor. I marinated it for at least 20 minutes, but I guess next time I'll either up the spices or just marinade it for longer. I'm also not a pro at cooking tuna because I know it is better when it is practically rare, and you can see from the pictures mine was more of a medium rare. While this time wasn't a total success, I will be trying it again!

Marinated Tuna Steaks

Ingredients
2 ancho chilies, soaked, seeded and pureed (I didn't have ancho chilies so I used jalapenos that were in adobe sauce)
4 cloves chopped garlic
2 teaspoons fennel seeds, toasted- didn't use, I don't care for fennel
2 cups freshly squeezed orange juice
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons olive oil
8 sprigs Mexican oregano -- store didn't have Mexican Oregano, so I used regular organic oregano
4 tuna steaks, 6 ounces each -- just had our tiny tuna steak
Salt and pepper

Directions
Whisk together ancho puree, garlic, fennel, orange juice, honey, olive oil, and oregano in a medium-baking dish. Add the tuna and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 20 minutes, covered.
Heat grill pan over high heat. Remove tuna from marinade and season with salt and pepper to taste on both sides. Sear on 1 side until golden brown, about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Turn over and cook for 1 minute for medium-rare doneness.






2 comments:

Nicole said...

Do you eat sushi? If so, look on Food Network for Ahi Poke. It is sooo yummy and flavorful, but the fish is raw. I chose a recipe by Emeril, but I have not made it yet.

Dana said...

Hey lady! We do eat some sushi... we keep trying more and more and we like most of it. I'll have to check out that recipe. Thanks!