Thursday, June 04, 2009

Green Goddess Dressing

Not sure why I picked the Green Goddess dressing to make because I haven't had it before. But I saw the Foodie Flyer at Central Market and thought it sounded good. This was my first time using anchovies in a recipe and I had no idea how to pick them out at the grocery store. Should I pick the little tin full of the fishies, or should I buy the jar? There are different brands as well as how they are packed in the containers (oil or water). I once heard that white anchovies are the best, but I really have no idea. :o) This dressing was really good with a salad, and the avocado flavor really stood out. I think this dressing would have benefited from a little more EVOO because it was really thick. The dressing would also go good as a dressing for roasted potatoes or even as a sauce for fish.


adapted from Food Network Kitchens Cookbook 2/20/2009
Made from everyday basics and a few good quality ingredients.
Total Time: 10 min
Servings: 8
Ingredients
1 ea Anchovy fillet
1/3 C Mayonnaise
1/4 C Olive Oil
1 ea Hass avocado, ripe, cut into chunks
1 ea Scallion, thinly sliced
1 TBSP Basil, fresh, chopped
1 TBSP Flat-Leaf Parsley, fresh, minced
1 TBSP Tarragon, fresh, minced -- didn't have any so I left this out
3 TBSP Lime Juice, freshly squeezed
1 tsp Kosher Salt
Black Pepper, freshly ground, to taste


Cooking Instructions
Soak the anchovy in cold water in a bowl for 5 minutes. Pat dry and chop coarsely. Combine the ingredients in a blender and purée until smooth. The dressing may be refrigerated in an airtight container for 2 days. Makes about 2 cups


Tin o' fishies-- now I have to find some other recipes to use them with. I know that all Cesar dressings that I love have anchovies in them, so maybe I'll make Cesar dressing next

Do you need a lot of lime juice? If you do, I highly suggest you go out and buy yourself one of these lime juicers. Technically, this is a lemon juicer, but it works just fine for limes. They really get all the juice out of the limes.



Creamy avocado- I didn't really like avocado's until a few years ago. Not sure why but one day I tried some guacamole and then realized how much I did like avocados :o)

All ingredients but the olive oil went into blender to be mixed. I kept the olive oil out and poured it in once the other ingredients were combined. The recipe doesn't call for it, but I know that other recipes call for the olive oil to be streamed in slowly so the dressing wouldn't separate after it was blended together.

No comments: