Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Austin Restaurant Week







Jim and I took advantage of the lower set pricing of Austin Restaurant Week to try out Louie's 106. We liked their menu offerings and was some where new for us to try. We went on a Tuesday so it was very easy for us to reserve a table. I wanted to branch out a little and try something that I have never tried before.... so I ordered the Ahi tuna tartar. The thought of a little appetizer of raw fish (yes mom, it is raw fish. Quit making that face) was a little daunting but what the hell. The appetizer was a mix of tuna, avocado, onions, cilantro, soy sauce and some other spices that I could not distinguish. It also had a fried wonton. Overall I enjoyed the appetizer. I found the pieces of tuna and tried them on their own, and had I not known that it was raw fish I would not be able to tell. Seriously, I'm not just saying that. Jim tried a bite but didn't care for it since it was cold. He ordered the fried avocado with crab and that was also very good.



Ahi Tuna Tartar



Our entrees were decent. Jim ordered the steak with veggies and I ordered the shrimp and scallop with saffron risotto. Jim thought his steak was to fatty but did like the over all flavor of the demi glace and veggies. My shrimp and scallops were cooked perfectly, but I had a few crunchy pieces in my risotto... which shouldn't be crunch. I think it was just uncooked rice (at least that is what I hope it was). Jim said he would order his dish again (as long as the steak wasn't so fatty) and I don't think I would order mine again. They have plenty of other dishes that I would like to try.
Jim chose the flourless cake for dessert and I chose the vanilla bean creme brulee. I actually tried the flourless cake and it wasn't very cakey... it was more like a weird fudge. My creme brulee was creme brulee... nothing to write home about :o) However the monster strawberry on my dessert was perfectly sweet and juicy.
Louis 106 is a nice restaurant with good food and I will be back one day to try some of their other dishes.





No comments: