Monday, October 25, 2010

Sushi!

Last Friday night we headed to Piranha Killer Sushi for dinner. We used a Groupon (paid $20 for $40 worth of food), so dinner was very reasonable. I love Groupon and the deals that it brings each day :) If you haven't heard about Groupon, then you need to go to http://www.groupon.com/austin?post_subscribe=true and sign up for their daily alerts. Sure some of the deals aren't for me, but I love it when I can get discounted meals, massages, and salon experiences.

Back to the food... we started off our night with the Pork and Vegetable Dumplings with Spicy Orange Marmalade. We had 3 choices for the preparation of the dumpling... steamed, pan fried, or fried. We decided on pan fried, and it was a very good choice! The dumplings had a nice crust on the outside, and the insides were perfectly cooked! The spicy orange marmalade was quite tasty, not very spicy but it was a nice sauce for the dumplings.

Our first roll of the night was the Vietnamese Summer Roll. It has salmon, tuna, crab, greens, mango and asparagus wrapped with rice paper. This roll was very delicate and had a fresh taste. I didn't really taste the mango in the roll, but I did get a strong asparagus flavor. The roll was good, but it was exceptional with the spicy and sweet sauce that they were placed in.

Our next two rolls came out together, we ordered the Birthday Roll and the Volcano Roll. The Birthday Roll had shrimp tempura, eel, masago, scallions, cream cheese and it was topped with avocado. This was a compact tasty roll... it had a slightly salty flavor and had a little crunch from the shrimp tempura. This was my favorite roll of the night.


The Volcano Roll had charbroiled crawfish over a California Roll. I wasn't impressed with this roll... I was expecting some type of spicy flavor with the crawfish, but I found the sauce with it very mild. The description didn't say anything would be spicy but with a name like Volcano I just assumed it would be spicy. The crawfish was pretty fishy tasting which turned me off. Jim didn't seem to mind so he ate most of that roll, while I ate most of the Birthday Roll :)


We ended the night with a dessert, the cheese cake with a strawberry compote. I have to say this was a very good dessert. The cheese cake was fluffy, not to dense and had a hint of cinnamon.
I had one small complaint about the food.... there were no options for a spicy roll. I like a little heat with my sushi and I didn't get that with this meal. Next time I'll ask our waiter if they have any spicy rolls that aren't on the menu for us to try. Overall our dinner was delicious, service was prompt and the environment had an easy modern feel to it. We'll be back one day to try their happy hour specials!

No comments: