Thursday, October 21, 2010

Beer Festival

I came across an article that talked about a Beer Festival that was going on near the house and knew that I found an activity that was suited for us! The Flying Saucer was hosting this festival where there were 60 beers on tap for you to try. To get in was free, but if you wanted to try the beer (and hello, that is why people went! :) ), you paid $12 which got you a tasting glass (which held about 3 oz filled to the top), and 12 different tastings. Most people filled the glass all the way to the top for you to enjoy. This was a really great way to try beers, and most were small breweries that you don't typically see on tap in bars/restaurants.

There were 2 tents on both sides of the festival filled with people ready to pour you a beer

Jim, Chris and Oz (Chris and Lindsay's dog). Had we known you could take dogs, we probably would have brought Chewie or Abby with us.

Jim and I


Nick alerted me to these two people and their butt cracks waving to the world! They sat like that for at least 10 minutes.... so I had to take a picture. Was it immature of me to do that? yes. Do I care? No. :) I have jeans that are low, but I'm pretty sure that I usually feel a breeze go across my butt crack when it accidentaly makes an appearance.

Jim trying out a beer



I took pictures like this for all of the tastings that I did. I mainly did it so I could remember which beers I tried, and for the most part I remember the beers that I liked and which I didn't like. I found out that I am not an IPA beer fan but I like most ale's and darker beers.

This was a nice light beer. I have no idea where I would find a 6 pack of this... perhaps Whole Foods?


Nick, Jim and I
The sun was beating down on us for most of the day, so we found some shade, sat down and chatted away. Sure the boys spent most of the time talking football, but it was still a fun day!

Not only were there great beers on tap to try, they also brought in 3 different food carts. One was a hot dog cart, one I can't remember, and then there was the Peached Tortillia. This is the food cart that I tried to go to a few weeks ago but couldn't since they were so busy. I was stoked to finally try their food. They had a limited menu for the event, but that didn't matter because they had what I wanted to try.
I ordered their BBQ Brisket taco and their Banh Mi Slider. The Brisket taco had a jalapeno slaw and a smoky roasted peach BBQ sauce. I really liked this taco... the meat was tender and I enjoyed the slaw. I had no idea it had a peach BBQ sauce on it because the slaw overpowered that flavor. I would have liked to taste a little more of the BBQ but I still really enjoyed the taco.
The Banh Mi slider was served on a sweet Hawaiian roll, with a Vietnamese braised pork belly, pickled daikon and carrot salad, sriracha may and cilantro. I thought the veggies on this sandwich were very good but the pork belly was lacking. The little pork belly chunks just couldn't compete with the other big flavors in this slider.

No comments: