Sunday, December 21, 2008

In a word... delicious

We tried a new restaurant on Friday night, Fuego's, and it did not disappoint. We pulled into the parking lot and debated on going inside or not because there wasn't anybody in there. The restaurant is not in a great area.... on North Lamar just south of 183. It is across the street from Kim Phung. We decided to go in because I had read really good reviews on Yelp and on Chowhound. I also knew that the restaurant was going through some hard times. We walked in and were greeted immediately... of course when you are the only customers in the place you would hope to be greeted immediately :).

Fuego's
7600 N. Lamar
ste F
Austin, Tx 78752
www.fuegosauthentic.com



I ordered the fish tacos and Jim ordered the nachos. My fish tacos were da bomb. The fish was fried, but it wasn't greasy or super crunchy. They were topped with a spicy coleslaw mix that totally made the tacos. I would have eaten a bowl of the coleslaw mix on it's own. I like it much better than when restaurants just put some shredded cabbage on top. If you go and order the fish taco's I would suggest that you ask for the jalapeno tartar sauce on the side. It is very good, but I thought it had a little to much on the taco's. Jim's nachos were exactly what he wanted. He wanted the nachos to have a ton of toppings on them so every bit was perfect.

I have read that the ahi fish sandwich was award winning (I think it was the Chronicle) and that their crab enchiladas and hamburgers (yes, hamburgers in a Mexican joint) were fantastic and a must try! So get out and support local businesses!!!


Jimmy's nacho's
My fish tacos (ps... the fish is snapper) the rice and beans were served a bowl next to my plate



No comments: