Thursday, October 23, 2008

San Francisco - Day 2


We started our second day roaming around San Francisco near Fisherman's Wharf. We didn't want to stray to far from the hotel since my mom was flying in that morning. We got some Starbucks and ran into some of the biggest freakin hills. I mean, I couldn't even attempt to drink my coffee since I was huffing and puffing up this hill. I was able to take a few photos while standing at the top of each hill trying to catch my breath :) Walking up those hills was a nice little reminder that my ass is WAY out of shape.




We took a cable car to Union Square for dinner and a little shopping. It was a blast because I hung off of the side of the cable car. There were a couple of times when it was slightly exhilarating because I was on the side where the cable cars going down the hill went by and there was not a lot of room between the two! And at one point we had a fire truck with lights and sirens on zoomed by us.





We went over to Alcatraz during the afternoon. If you go, make sure you make reservations ahead of time!










View of San Francisco from Alcatraz. The sky was kind of murky from the Blue Angels smoke that they used while flying.











No, Jim did not bring his 80's Walkman to listen to his cassette tapes while on vacation :) Those big earphones were a recorded tour that we listened to while we were at Alcatraz. We all thought it was an excellent way to see Alcatraz because you can pause the tour if you want to look around more in one area or if you had to go searching for your mother because somewhere along the way she took a wrong turn and disappeared :o)


I would not want to live here!






Checking out the isolation area... very small, and I image very dark one the two sets of doors were closed








I was doing the jail house rock dance.... :)





Our tour was narrated by former inmates as well as former guards. Their first hand knowledge really gave the tour a more realistic feel, rather than some 20 year old park ranger reciting a script.


This picture was taken as we took the ferry back to San Francisco

As I mentioned earlier, the Blue Angels were in town for Fleet Week. I haven't seen them before, but the little that I did see, they are totally awesome! The skills and talent that these guys have is immeasurable! A couple of times the planes flew really low, and you whole body would shake from the sound.



On the ferry back





I know that Fisherman's Wharf is a total tourist trap but I still like it. I like all of the shops, restaurants, and people watching. Along part of the street, you were able to buy fresh seafood directly from the vendors. I was eyeing those crabs totally wishing that I lived there so I could cook them up and enjoy them!




Another favorite part of Fisherman's Wharf is the sea lions. I know they stink and make a lot of noise, but I love watching these guys. They don't do much but lounge around and bark at each other.












Mummy and I near the Bay.



Mummy and Jim




Mom enjoys an adult beverage once a year. However the last time she was at our house to visit, she tried one of our Mojitos and liked it so now maybe she will have two adult beverages a year. Her go to drink is a strawberry daiquiri. This one was slightly sweet and yummy!




Our first night in San Fran, we ate at a restaurant called Daily Grill. I had read some good things about it and when we got off of the cable car it was sitting right around the corner! The one part of planning our trip that took the most time and effort was trying to find restaurants for us to eat at. The issue was there are SOOOO MANY places to choose from and I wasn't sure what areas we would be in each night. I knew that we didn't really want to get dressed up to eat, so I had to find places that were nice yet casual. And I also wanted to find non-touristy type places. Even though the bartender told me that the Daily Grill is about 50/50 when it comes to locals and tourists, I would recommend it to everybody. The drinks were good, the location was perfect (near Union Square), the service was excellent and the food was delicious. I ordered the herb and blue cheese crusted fillet and Mom and Jim both ordered the chicken pot pie. Now we were a little surprised at the chicken pot pie (the server said it was one of her favorites) because it was HUGE. It was seriously the largest pot pie that I have seen :) And it was really good. The chicken was hand pulled and shredded and the crust was so flaky and light.







Kahlua Hazelnut Creme Brulee... need I say more?



No comments: