Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Dinner and a movie

We had a good night of a successful new recipe and an entertaining movie. I had a recipe I wanted to try for a Bolognese sauce, which is basically a thick Italian meat sauce. We weren't in the mood for pasta so I made this sauce and used it as a layer in French bread pizza. I took a loaf of French bread, split it and layered the meat sauce, shredded colby cheese, fresh sliced tomatoes and fresh sliced mozzarella cheese then baked it until it was a yummy bubbly goodness.

Quick Bolognes Sauce:

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

1 small onion, chopped

1 rib of celery, chopped

1 carrot, chopped

2 pounds of ground beef (i actually used about 1.25 pounds)

3/4 cup dry red wine (I used a Shiraz I had)

1 cup chicken broth

1 cup crushed tomatoes

1) Heat the olive oil, add the vegetables, decrease heat to medium. Cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 5 minutes. Add the ground beef: increase heat to medium-high. Cook, stirring occasionally, until evenly brown, about 15 minutes.

2) Stir in the wine, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Stir in the broth and tomatoes: cook until flavors come together, about 40 minutes. Add salt if necessary. I also added a dash or two of garlic powder and oregano.

I think I let it simmer for about an hour and half. It was very good and I"ll be making this again!



The simmering sauce, which is a simple recipe with lots of taste. We'll use the extra either over pasta or in a lasagna

The French bread pizzas before they were cooked. I tried to get a good picture of the layers

YUM!

While we enjoyed our dinner we watched Inside Man, with Denzel Washington, Clive Owen and Jodie Foster. The most I knew about the movie was that it was about a bank robbery. We were both pleasantly surprised at how much we liked the movie. A nice little twist through out the movie that kept you guessing! I give it 3 out of 4 starts. If Clive Owen had flashed his ass or stood around in just a towel then I would have given it a 4 out of 4. :)

No comments: