Thursday, September 28, 2006

A new recipe!!!

I wanted to try something new tonight for dinner so I searched through my cookbooks and magazines for a recipe that looked good. I found a recipe called "Meat Loaf Wellington" and thought I would give it a try. It was fairly easy to make and it ended up tasting great and looked like it took a lot of effort to make!


Meat Loaf Wellington


1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup meatless spaghetti sauce, divided
1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 - 1/2 pounds ground beef
2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
1 tube refridgerated crescent rolls

In a large bowl, combine the egg, 1/3 cup spaghetti sauce, bread crumbs, salt and pepper (I also used some garlic powder and grill seasoning) and crumble the meat over mixture and mix well.
On a piece of heavy-duty foil, pat beef mixture into a 12-inch x 8 inch rectangle. Sprinkle 1 cup cheese and parsley to within 1 inch of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, staring with a long side and peeling foil away while rolling. Seal seam and ends. Place seam side down in a greased 13 inch x 9 inch baking dish.
Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 1 hour: drain. Unroll cresecent dough: seal seams and perforations. Drape dough over mean loaf to cover the top, sides and ends. Seal ends. Bake 15-20 minutes longer or until a meat thermometer reads 160 degrees (I didn't do this) and crust is golden. Let stand for 5 minutes.
Using two large spatulas, carefully transfer meat loaf to a service platter. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.

The next time I make this I will probably add onions to the meat mixture and might use feta cheese to give it a different taste. But it was easy and tasted really good so I will be making this again!!!



The finished product

You can see the cheese oozing out. YUM!

No comments: