Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Zucchini Stuffing

I saw a blog post on The Other Side of Fifty, (http://tinyurl.com/2a7phrz), that was using zucchini in a casserole. I've cooked zucchini many different ways, and this new twist appealed to me. This is easy enough to make, and for any of you 3 readers that have kids this will probably be a good dish to sneak in veggies to your kids meals. I thought this was a good dish, but I was a little disappointed because the veggies got lost in the stuffing. Perhaps leaving the veggies in small bites would give them a bigger presence in the dish.



Not the best picture of the food, but there is something comforting about this dish. I believe it is because it reminds me of Thanksgiving since it uses boxed stuffing. (Not that my mama ever used boxed stuffing, she always made it from scratch)


Zucchini Casserole To Die For

(Adapted from Recipezaar)
6 cups shredded zucchini
1 cup shredded carrot
1 cup diced onion
4 TBSP butter
1/4 cup olive oil
2 cloves of garlic, minced (or 1/2 tsp garlic powder)
1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup (I used Cream of Mushroom because I forgot to buy Cream of Chicken, tasted good to me)
1 cup sour cream
1 (8 ounce) box of cornbread stuffing mix (you can use regular stuffing mixed if desired, but I think the cornbread really adds extra flavor to this dish)

In a large bowl combine the chicken soup and sour cream. Set aside. Spray an 8 X 8 inch casserole dish with cooking spray. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.In a large skillet, heat the olive oil and butter over medium heat. Add the zucchini, carrot and onion and season with salt and pepper. Saute until veggies are softened, 8-10 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for another minute or two. Remove pan from heat and let cool slightly.Combine veggies with sour cream/soup mixture and add the stuffing mix. Stir well to combine all. Place stuffing in prepared pan. Bake for 30-40 minutes.








No comments: