Sunday, September 16, 2007

Something New

We just recently found out that we like couscous, so after watching FoodTV I found out about Israeli Couscous. I didn't find any at my regular grocery store, but I did find some at Central Market. I searched for a recipe and I didn't find one that I wanted to use, so I just winged it.

Veggie Israeli Couscous

1 zucchini, chopped
1 yellow squash, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
1 Roma tomato chopped
1 cup Israeli couscous
2 cups vegetable broth
couple shakes of salt
couple shakes of pepper
couple shakes of garlic powder
couple shakes of Cajun seasoning
3 tablespoons olive oil (I didn't really measure this)

Saute the veggies in 2 tablespoons olive oil, season with spices. While veggies are cooking heat one tablespoon of olive oil and toast the couscous. Once couscous is browned, add heated vegetable broth. Cook until couscous is done (about 8-10 minutes). Drain the liquid from the couscous pot, then add couscous to the veggies. Cook for a couple of minutes to combine the flavors. Then you are done! You may want to taste the mixture, to make sure it has enough spices!

I think this couscous has a similar texture to Orzo pasta. We really liked this recipe and I look forward to using Israeli couscous again!!!

No comments: