Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Welcome to the Green Salsa


I have always eyed the weird little veggie in a husk at the grocery stores. It is a curious veggie,,, what is with the husk? I knew that most green salsas use tomatillos, but I have not attempted to make the salsa at home. I made a pork roast the other night to use for shredded pork tacos, and I wanted a new flair for the sauce, so in comes the Tomatillo Salsa Verde. There are a ton of different recipes on the Internet to try, with slight variations to the recipe. I decided to try the recipe below from a blog that I read, Food n'More.

The recipe came out so good! There was some real heat to the salsa, so I had to use it sparingly on the tacos, but the flavor was out of this world good. I can't wait to make this again. Even Jim who isn't a huge fan of green salsa really enjoyed it.


Tomatillo Salsa Verde
http://foodnmore.wordpress.com

Ingredients:
8 medium sized tomatillos –remove the husk
1 medium yellow or Spanish onion
1 jalapeno pepper
1 poblano pepper
4 cloves of garlic - crap, I think I forgot to add this
A handful of cilantro
Salt to taste
2 TBS lime juice
2 tsp agave nectar of white table sugar - I used sugar
Directions:

Roast the tomatillos and onion over your stove until slightly charred ( I used the grill for everything and it came out just fine!). Char the hell out of the jalapeƱo and poblano.

Remove the skins and seeds from the peppers and to a blender, along with the all the other ingredients. Blend until smooth.

Add the sauce to a pan over low heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes. NOTE: the color will darken significantly.
Taste for seasoning and adjust accordingly.


Inside of a tomatillo
Pre-grilled veggies

I cut the tomatillios in half to get a really good char on them. They didn't need very long on the grill. The juices stated to bubble, and that is when I took them off the grill.





No comments: