Sunday, October 07, 2007

Okay Okra

Growing up in Arizona, I didn't really eat much okra. I'm sure that is partly due to okra not being that popular in AZ and that my parents didn't eat it either (not big in NJ-- at least not that I am aware of). So this southern veggie is a little unknown to me. Jim went to visit his parents a couple of weeks ago and he was given a huge bag of okra that his mom grew in her garden. The only way I have ever eaten it is fried so I went in search of a recipe. Most fried okra recipes called for corn meal, but I didn't have any on hand. So I decided to go with a beer batter instead. The batter got a little sticky once I threw the okra in there and it clumped up a bit, but overall I think it came out pretty good (even though I think okra is a bit slimy!)!



Beer Batter

1 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
couple shakes of salt
couple shakes of pepper
one shake of cayenne (or Cajun seasoning)
1/4 c veggie oil
1 egg
1 cup beer (I used Bud Light)

Heat vegetable oil in a pan. I used about a 1/2 cup of oil.

Mix flour, baking powder and seasonings. Add egg, beer and oil to dry mix. Mix until most lumps are gone (make sure not to over mix).

Chop okra into bite size pieces (about 1/4 inch), then dump into the batter. Use a spoon to get the okra out of the batter and into the pan. Let the okra cook until browned on both sides.

Once you get the okra out of the pan sprinkle it with a little salt and enjoy!

No comments: