Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Wally World is invading

There is a ginormous Wal-mart moving to a location that is on the other side of my neighborhood. By ginormous I mean over 200,000 sq feet, which is the largest Wal-mart in Central Texas. This type of store is typically near a freeway so traffic won't get so snarled on the local roads, but according to the Austin city council Wal-mart gave them skewed numbers that were a lot lower than a third party company found. SOOOOO... there is a group called "Smart Growth for Northcross" that is at the core of stopping Wal-Mart from building such a massive store in the neighborhood. We have a little sign in our yard (I'll post a picture later) opposing Wal-Mart and will go to the event I mentioned below. I'm not sure how much we can sway Wal-Mart or the company who owns the land, but I want to try. The traffic on our street is already busy, and I don't want to see that traffic double or triple due to a crappy ass big box store. Not to mention all of the reports on how having a Wal-Mart in your neighborhood can raise crime and lower your property values. ICK!!!
I'll keep you posted!

No comments: