Sunday, January 16, 2011

Eating Right in 2011

I was thumbing through my Cuisine at Home magazine when I came across a section was lightened up pasta sauces. I immediately zoned into the Alfredo sauce because I normally avoid it like the plague because of the calories and fat. I knew I wanted to throw some broccoli and shrimp in with the pasta to make a meal, so on I went to Central Market to pick up some things. I knew I wanted a good Parmesan cheese to use, since it was the only cheese in the dish.

I actually had high hopes for this sauce, thinking it would be a great substitute but it fell a little short. The sauce was a little flavorless but it had a nice consistency. Next time I plan on adding a LOT more cheese, I think that will help. Sure, it won't be as light weight as it could be but oh well. Jim and I agreed that this was totally edible but it is a reminder that we are trying to eat better. I want to find those dishes that are good for us and DON'T taste like it!




Lite Alfredo Sauce
from Cuisine at Home magazine


Blend:

2 cups skim milk (we had 1% so I used that)
1 cup park skim ricotta cheese
2/3 cup 2% Greek-style yogurt
1/4 cup minced onion
2 Tbsp chopped garlic
1 tsp kosher salt
1.2 tsp ground nutmeg


Heat:
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil or 4 tbs unsalted butter
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
zest of 1 lemon
Black pepper
Blend milk, ricotta, yogurt, onion, garlic, salt, and nutmeg in a blender until smooth.

Heat oil in a saute pan over medium heat, whisk flour until smooth. Whisk blended mixture until smooth. Simmer sauce until it thickens (for me took about 10 minutes). Stir in Parmigiano-Reggiano, zest and pepper.

No comments: