Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Perfect soup for our cold weather

I found a recipe in Cuisine at home magazine that called out to me. A simple low fat soup, without cream, and easy to throw together. This soup was delicious. Jim wasn't a fan of the lemon flavor, but next time I won't add the lemon slice to his bowl and I think it will be okay. I didn't get a big lemon flavor from the soup itself but did get it from the soup around the lemon slice. The egg in this soup made it look a little like an Egg Drop soup, but I hardly noticed the egg in the soup. Give it a try, I think you'll like it!


Greek Edd-Lemon Soup
with chicken and asparagus

4 cups low sodium chicken broth
2 cups water
1 Tbsp minced garlic
1/2 cup dry converted long-grain rice
1 cup asparagus tips (I used frozen asparagus since I couldn't find fresh)
2 cups shredded cooked chicken (the fully cooked chickens from the grocery store came in handy for this step!)
2 large eggs, beaten
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 Tbsp chopped dill
salt and pepper
1 small lemon, thinly sliced
  • Combine broth, water and garlic in sauce pan over medium high heat; bring to a boil
  • Add rice, reduce heat to medium low - simmer rice for 15 minutes: stirring occasionally
  • Stir in asparagus: simmer mixture 10 minutes. Add chicken; cook until chicken is heated through (if you use frozen asparagus, I would add the thawed asparagus after the chicken. My asparagus was way over cooked and mushy. Still tasted good, but next time I'll add it last)
  • Combine eggs and lemon juice in a bowl. Gradually whisk 1 cup of the broth mixture into the eggs until smooth. Return egg mixture to the saucepan, stirring constantly.
  • Don't allow mixture to boil
  • Season soup with dill, salt and pepper
  • Garnish with lemon slice before serving


No comments: