Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Lemon Curd!!



I have been eyeballing the lemon flavored liqueur, Limoncello for about a year now. I really didn't know what I would use it for so I waited... and then I saw this recipe! I'm not a huge fan of lemon flavored desserts, but I though why not... it is a spring flavor and spring is upon us. I found a recipe on a food blog (www.locallemons.com) that looked good so I printed it up and tried it out! The recipe for the lemon curd was SOOOOO easy to make. When I think of curd, I think of cottage cheese, but I can tell you that there is no cottage cheese like substance with this lemon curd. It is sweet, slightly tangy and kind of addicting. I need to find another use for this lemon curd!!:)


Limoncello Thumbprint Cookies Lemon Curd

(adapted from Fine Cooking, found on http://www.locallemons.com/):



3 oz. (6 Tbs.) unsalted butter, softened at room temperature

1 cup sugar

2 large eggs

2 large egg yolks

2/3 cup limoncello

1 tablespoon grated lemon zest


In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer, about 2 min. Slowly add the eggs and yolks. Beat for 1 min. Mix in the lemon juice. The mixture will look curdled, but it will smooth out as it cooks.


In a medium, heavy-based saucepan, cook the mixture over low heat until it looks smooth. (The curdled appearance disappears as the butter in the mixture melts.) Increase the heat to medium and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens, about 15 min. It should leave a path on the back of a spoon and will read 170°F on a thermometer. Don’t let the mixture boil.









I used a recipe for the thumbprint cookies, but they turned out very crumbly (the dough was before it was baked.) I tried making a few but they broke apart really easy. I ended up melting about a half of stick of butter, added it to the batter and then mixed it up. It helped tremendously but I still wasn't happy with the cookie.


YUM


No comments: