Tuesday, August 02, 2011

Grilled Salmon with Blueberry BBQ sauce


Fruit in a BBQ sauce? Sure, I'll give it a try. When I started to make the BBQ sauce I wasn't sure what the outcome was going to be, but I am glad I gave it a try! The BBQ sauce has your typical BBQ sauce ingredients with the addition of fresh blueberries. The sauce was not overpowered by the sauce, in fact it was a nice hint of sweet. I'm not a huge salmon fan but this was pretty darn good. Next time I'll try this out with a firm white fish and using some type of nut as a crust!



Blueberry bbq Salmon


2 8oz salmon filets
kosher salt/ground pepper
olive oil
3/4 cup fresh blueberries, rinsed and patted dry
1/4 cup ketchup
1 Tbs apple cider vinegar
1 Tbs balsamic vinegar
2 Tbs brown sugar
1 tsp minced garlic
2 Tbs grated onion
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes


1. Pat salmon dry on both sides and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
2. In medium saucepan, heat blueberries over medium-low heat until they begin to soften and some burst, about 10 minutes. Use the back of a wooden spoon to mash some of them, then add the ketchup, vinegars, brown sugar, garlic, onion, mustard, Worcestershire and red pepper flakes. Whisk to combine, then increase heat to medium. Stirring often, cook until the sauce begins to bubble, then lower the heat back to medium low. Continue to cook over low heat until the sauce has thickened, another 10-15 minutes.


3. Meanwhile, heat a grill pan or prepare an outdoor grill. Drizzle salmon with olive oil and cook, skin side up, 4 minutes. Flip and brush the salmon with some the blueberry sauce and cook second side until done, depending on thickness of fish, anywhere from another 2-5 minutes. Fish should still be slightly pink in the center – do not overcook. We aren't skin fans, so I actually cooked the fish, skin side down, and when I flipped it I removed the skin. The skin slides right off.

No comments: