Saturday, February 02, 2008

Hello old friend......Chicken Fricassee


Every time we go visit my family in NJ, we eat at the diner. There are so many good options, but the one I always gravitate to is the Chicken Fricassee, which is a yummy lemon-ish, white wine-ish, cream sauce over a chicken breast. I have searched for this recipe but haven't found one even close to what I have had... until I opened up a Cooks Country magazine. Now this recipe isn't exactly right, but it was close enough. This recipe calls for mushrooms, which is different than what I had at the diner. We don't care for mushrooms, so I just left this step out.


Chicken and Mushroom Fricassee
serves 4

4 bone-in split chicken breasts (I used boneless breasts)
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
2 onions, chopped fine
6 garlic cloves minced (I think I only used 4)
12 ounces white mushrooms, sliced thin
4 large portobello mushrooms caps (about 12 ounces), gills removed, sliced thin
1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme (i used dried)
1/4 cup flour
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1 cup low-sodium beef broth
1 cup white wine
1/4 cup heavy cream
4 tablespoons lemon juice (I think I used a lemon and half worths of juice)
parsley

1) pat chicken dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. heat oil in ban over medium-high heat until just smoking. Cook chicken, until golden brown, about 6 minutes. Flip and brown on other side, about 3 minutes. Transfer chicken to plate. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of fat from pot.

2) Cook onions in remaining fat until golden, about 5 minutes. Stir in galic and cook until fragrangt, about 30 seconds. Add mushrooms, thyme and 1/4 salt. Reduce heat to medium and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms have released their juices, about 10 minutes. Uncover and cook until liquid evaporates and mushrooms begin to brown, about 7 minutes.

3) Stir in flour and cook until golden, about 1 minute. Slowly stir in broths and wine and bring to boil. Return chicken and any accumulated juices to pot. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until meat registers 160 degrees, 20 to 30 minutes. Transfer chicken to serving platter and tent with foil.

4) Add cream to pot and simmer until sauce is thickened, about 15 minutes. Stir in lemon juice and parsley and season with salt and pepper. Pour sauce over chicken and serve.


I made noodles and broccoli and put the chicken and sauce over the noodles. I was a little rushed for time, so I didn't cook the sauce with cream as long as it asked for, so it wasn't very thick. Of course, also didn't add the mushrooms so maybe that would have thickened it up. The next time I make it I will add a little more flour to the sauce to thicken it up. I would highly suggest this dish for someting new and tasty!

No comments: