Sunday, September 18, 2011

Sunday Funday
(during Labor Day weekend)

I had today all to myself so I decided to make the best of it. Jim was out of town with his dad for a shooting competition. I debated on whether or not to make breakfast or eat out, and I just couldn't pass up eating out at a new restaurant (to me). Foreign and Domestic has been on my radar for awhile now and honestly it was the only restaurant that I though of. After walking the dogs and watering the lawn, I headed out for a few hours.

I sat at the counter at Foreign and Domestic, which I totally love. I love to watch the hustle and bustle behind the counter and how they create the food. I wasn't in the mood for a boozy breakfast so i stuck with coffee. The coffee was delicious!

I couldn’t decide on what to order… it was between the Fried Green Tomato BLT or the Fried Chicken Biscuit. My decision was made when the guy next to me ordered the Fried Chicken Biscuit. Per their website, the Fried Chicken Biscuit had Red Eye Gravy, Romaine Slaw, Lemon Marmalade and a fried egg. I have heard of Red Eye Gravy before, but have never tasted it. After looking it up, some recipes have strong coffee and some have the coffee, bacon and ham. Not sure if the F&D had ham or bacon in the gravy, if they did I didn’t taste it. My plate came looking like a hot mess, but it was damn good. I believe the salad is supposed to sit on top of the egg, but since a fried egg is somewhat slimy, the salad slid right down the side. Didn't matter to me, it all tasted the same :)


The piece of fried chicken (a thigh) was so juicy with a crispy outside. The chicken sat on a split biscuit that was a bit dense but held up to all of the ingredients on the plate. The romaine slaw had a thick dressing on it and was a nice fresh cool crunch on the plate, perfect for the fried chicken and biscuit. The one flavor that really jumped up and slapped you was the lemon marmalade. It wasn't over powering but really added a brightness to the dish. It took a few bites to figure out what the flavor was (forgot it was mentioned on the menu).





F&D has a slightly limited menu for Jim and I. They have some items that I just don't think I have the stomach to try (Crispy Beef Tongue, Cincinnati style Tripe, Beef Heart Tartare), however there is plenty of items that appeal to me. Now I just need to drag Jim there, I know he'll enjoy it.


After brunch I headed to the City Wide Garage Sale. It is always a hit or miss whether I find something to buy or not. This weekend, I found a couple of items that I just loved. Both were small tables/side tables so I had to choose which one I liked the best. I ultimatly went with this white table because it was so unique. I LOVED it as soon as I saw it, and couldn't pass it up at $35. I'm still not really sure where I am going to put it but for now it is hanging out in the living room. Yay for finding unique pieces for the house!!


No comments: